OFCS members don’t just write film reviews. Here are several articles you might find interesting.
Best of Lists
The 10 Worst Films of 2012
5 Best Non-Christmas Christmas Movies
The Top 10 Films of 2012
James Marsh (Shadow Dancer)
The Wes Anderson Universe
- Excerpt: While Anderson’s 1996 debut “Bottle Rocket” is a cult favorite now, at the time it merely hinted at what was to come, and the seeds of the Anderson aesthetic were only just taking root. This should be especially evident for those who partake of all three films at Cinema 21′s “A Very Wes Anderson Christmas.”
Oscar Predictions, 12/10/2012
- Excerpt: As the early awards have been discussed, voted on, and announced, various themes are starting to settle in – the themes that invariably start to shape the season’s narrative.
Oscar Preview: Precursor Winners & Losers, Week 3
- Excerpt: Examining the big winners and losers from the third week of Oscar precursors.
Oscar Preview: Weekend of Dec. 14-16, 2012
- Excerpt: Looking at the Oscar chances of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Projection: Oscar – On the Legitimacy of Critics
- Excerpt: It’s a long Oscar season with many different pieces on the board. Critics don’t necessarily control those pieces, but they can position them effectively for the people who do.
12/14 DVD releases
Best Films of 2012
- Excerpt: A podcast featuring film critics Susan Granger and John P. McCarthy discussing their picks for best movies of 2012
Cinema in Noir Ranks the Best and Worst of 2012, and Reviews the Films You Should See this Month
- Excerpt: We look at those films that we thought were underrated (Celeste and Jesse Forever, for instance) and those others we thought should have never got off the ground (*cough* A Thousand Words *cough*).
Exit Lines: Popdose Goes To The Theatre
- Excerpt: A look at New York theatre includes all the film stars onstage, plus a review of the Killer Joe Blu-ray.
Is River Song Better Than Any Companion?
- Excerpt: The idea that River Song was/is the only Companion to challenge the Doctor intellectually could be accepted if we can accept that a professor of archaeology is far smarter than Companions with degrees in medicine or science, a mathematical prodigy, an amateur scientist, and of course, a fellow Time Lord, one who graduated from the Academy with higher scores than the Doctor himself.
Middle of Nowhere Leads the 2013 Black Reel Award Nominees
- Excerpt: Director Ava Duvernay’s absolutely lovely indie drama, Middle of Nowhere, catapults to the top of the list with a staggering nine nominations, including a best picture nod and another for lead actress Emayatzy Corinealdi.
O desastre e o fim do mundo no cinema e televisão
Tiago Ramos @ Split Screen [Portuguese]
- Excerpt: The war ended, Lincoln was beloved, he was taken from this earth and his legacy was secured for all time.
Sizzle Reel Wows Viewers
Betty Jo Tucker @ ReelTalk Movie Reviews [Feature Article]
The Trailer for “Pain and Gain” May Actually be Painful to Watch
- Excerpt: Just think, if it wasn’t for Magic Mike’s recent success, we wouldn’t be able to see so many desperately mediocre “based on a true story” screenplays masked by a bunch of greasy male bodies on the big screen.