Our critics have been hard at work reviewing the latest films. Here is a look at what’s coming out this weekend (in select cities, check your local listings) and what else may be in theaters right now.
Opening: Oct. 24-26, 2014
Wide (United States)
- Excerpt: The clunky script and amateurish performances are not unexpected in the faith-based genre, but its dubious “inspiration” gives even diehard-atheist me pause.
Expanding (United States)
Limited (United States)
- Excerpt: a hell of an eye opener, even given knowledge of its events. Poitras’s documentary makes us feel the danger of government invasion.
- Excerpt: Edward Snowden speaks. Buy a ticket to this film… and use your credit card, so the NSA knows you care about this stuff.
- Excerpt: “Citizenfour” provides a stark cinema vérité perspective on America’s biggest political scandal.
- Excerpt: While it’s true that adults don’t always have the answers and sometimes make childish mistakes, Laggies says as long as you look like Keira Knightley everything will be fine.
Revenge of the Green Dragons
- Excerpt: hysterically rendered cohorts are even more irksome, a barrage of squeals, snarls, and gunshots that are more repulsive in their exaggerated acting than any of their heinous crimes.
White Bird in a Blizzard
- Excerpt: lurid camp
- Excerpt: White Bird in a Blizzard lacks momentum as a tawdry mystery, but it’s worth seeing for Woodley, Green, and Araki’s intoxicating sense of mood.
- Excerpt: Too slow-moving for a thriller, but shocking ending is almost worth waiting for.